Re: Icon proposal: Network IDS

Le Fri, Apr 02, 2004, à 11:58:07AM -0700, Justin Gombos a écrit:
> The Network group of icons does not have an icon to represent an
> intrusion detection system ("IDS").  This is a very basic type of
> network component that is normally represented by a maginfying glass.
>
> If I decide to create one myself, I would like to know whether the dia
> developers would want it included in the build, because that will
> influence how much time I spend on it.  If not, I'll probably just put
> a box around the text "IDS" just to get my project done.  Otherwise I
> would look into what's involved with creating a magnifying glass with
> scaleable vector graphics.
>
> I'm also posting this so someone can stop me from wasting time if one
> already exists somewhere.  Google images has tons of magnifying glass
> jpgs, but jpegs are bitmaps, not vectors, correct?

Correct. Perhaps you can find some SVG magnifying glass in the recent GNOME
(and KDE) SVG icon sets.

I, personally, would vote for inclusion as long as :
	- there is no licencing problem (if you do it all by yourself, it's
easy, but if you aggregate third party content, well, the derived works
copright rules apply). We distribute under the GPL, and will keep it that
way.
	- it looks good enough or at least similar with what exists (ie, a
box with "IDS" in the middle would have to build a case, but a nice icon,
hey, sure!
	- at least one person wants it (as you want it, this condition is
satisfied)

in a nutshell, go ahead, you're welcome!