Re: Re[2]: How to export text to EPS as text (no curves)?

On 7 Sep 2003, Alejandro Aguilar Sierra wrote:
> In fact you can adjust the seperation between words and characters
> (allowing fine grain width adjust) with simple postscript commands like
> ashow, widthshow etc. show is the command to print a string in
> postscript.  So, hacking the eps exporter we could do it in a clean
> way. Opinions?

Now that's an interesting idea.  Mind you, I'm not a PS export by any
means, so I miss many options like this.  Of course, as you could see in
Cyrilles mail, there remains the problems of font embedding and i18n, but I
suppose you could allow the choice for those who don't require the fancy
things.

In fact, it could be possible to scan the document for non-ASCII chars and
non-standard-PS fonts, and if none are found, use ashow/widthshow with the
standard fonts.  Not something I want to do for 0.92, as it'd take a lot of
tinkering to get right, and we really need another version out.  But if you
can help us with this, I expect with can do it for 0.93.  If we could then
steal some (partial) font embedding code somewhere and figure out
translations from Unicode to whatever the fonts might require, we'd be all
set:)

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor