Re: Shaded Venn diagrams

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Scott Lamb wrote:

> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:51:28 -0600
> From: Scott Lamb <slamb@slamb.org>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: Shaded Venn diagrams
>

> On Nov 25, 2003, at 6:40 AM, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
>
> > Le Tue, Nov 25, 2003, à 04:36:21AM -0600, Scott Lamb a écrit:
> >
> >> I think it would be a lot clearer if I could have better shading. Is
> >> it
> >> possible in Dia to have the shading of two objects mix in their
> >> overlapping region? I.e., could I make the Streams color greenish, the
> >> Pollable color reddish, and have their overlap yellowish? I think that
> >> would make this a much better diagram.
> >
> > Unfortunately, not at this point. We don't even support background
> > colour transparency (I think that sodipodi does, FWIW)
>
> Okay. Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the response.
>
> I just tried out OmniGraffle on my OS X laptop, and had a pretty good
> result. Disappointing to not use a free/open source tool, but I'll
> live. <http://www.slamb.org/svn/repos/projects/atoms/descriptors.pdf>.

If you have a recent version of Gnumeric with new graph engine you might
be able to use it to plot Venn Diagrams or something else suitable.
I dont know much about it, I just know that in the past 6 months Gnumeric
has gotten a nice new graphing engine so it might be worth a try if you
generating the Venn Diagram form actual mathematic sets.

If you were interested in adding full Alpha transparency (rather than the
current on or off) we would of course love to accept patches.

Sincerely

- Alan