Re: HIG and Escape

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:

> Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 21:01:01 -0600
> From: Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: HIG and Escape
>
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > I hear tell 0.94 will be partly about HIG compliance.  I noticed (who
>
> You mean 0.92, and yes.
>
> > hasn't) that Escape doesn't activate Cancel.  I think it should, but the
> > HIG doesn't say so that I can find.  In fact, it doesn't say boo about
> > escape except wrt to mouse actions, of all things.
> >
> > In the UI overhaul, I hope Escape will cancel/close dialogs.
>
> It certainly should.
>
> > Lars, I see the Preferences dialog is much improved but not Gladified.
> > I'll take another shot at it.  Are we bound to a tab dialog, or did we
> > decide on a mozilla-like tree-on-the-side treatment, or does anything go?

I suspect that in time the Preferences will become more complicated and
that a treeview will be necessary, may as well plan ahead.

[] Unfortunately i am way behind with Dia since i hosed my machine.
[] Hopefully any refactoring could replace the yes no buttons with
[] check boxes.

;)

I need to look over my notes but there were a few preferencs i really
wanted to remove as i felt they were unnecessary (unfortunately infinite
undo does not seem practical).

> We're not bound to a particular style, but we want to keep the coding part
> simple, too.  Look in app/preferences.c you'll see an array of prefs.
> They're currently kinda hackishly divided into groups by having extra dummy
> entries.  A better style may be to have a string in each entry that
> defines the position.  Or a recursive structure.  It'd also be nice to have
> the props on a page grouped using GtkFrames.  In other words, the design is
> open, but it should be easy to work with.
>
> There was a mail a ways back showing how the entire thing could be fit in a
> single window.  That was kinda neat.

I dont remember that, although i do vaguely recally someone sending i
.glade file i never got around to looking at.  A link would be
appreciated, but hopefully i will have time to go searching myself later.

I would be very worried that fitting everything in one screen would break
for small monitors and not easily allow new items to be added in future.

> As for Glade-ifying, doesn't that require that we depend on libglade?

I believe it would be worth it, simplicity, maintainability and the
performance difference is by all accounts neglidgable.  Abiword is doing
something along these lines (as usual im sketchy on the details), i think
the dependancey is on libgal.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/