Re: prerelease 4

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 11:29:36 -0600, Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:
> >
> > configure: error: Need FreeType library version 2.0.9 or higher
> >
> > But I have 2.1.3, which might not be set up right, yet.  Does
> > FreeType2 have to be on the client or the server?  I'm using a remote
> > display.
>
> It needs to be on the server (i.e. the display).  X font serving is
> broken by design from our point of view.

Er, OK, but I don't see how this test can work.  Is configure going to
(supposed to?) follow $DISPLAY to find out what version of FreeType is
installed ... on the machine I happen to be using for a display at that
moment?  It's building a little test program on the X client (as it
happens.  There's no guarantee that the build box is the target X client
system, either.)  If Dia needs FreeType2 libraries to build -- as I'm sure
she does -- OK, but the X client won't necessarily have a font server
installed or anything in the font path.  (I'm no expert.  A lot of what I
know about X fonts I learned reading this list.)

Is there another variable I need to set to tell configure or Dia where to
look for fonts?  Or is the test really bogus and I should skip over it?
FreeType2 2.1.3 installed on both the client and the server, and fc-list
returns fine things on the X server box:

$ fc-list |head
Cooper Black:style=Regular
LucidaBright:style=Italic
OCR A Extended:style=Regular