Re: Re[4]: 0.91 version and EPS/PDF problems

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Hans Breuer wrote:
> At 14:23 09.06.03 -0400, Alan G Isaac wrote:
>>On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 08:11:54 -0500 Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
>>wrote:
>>> I guess I didn't explain clearly.  In 0.91, we don't include font
>>> definitions.  We don't rely on built-in fonts.  We don't use any fonts
>>> in the EPS at all.  We convert each character to a set of curves and so
>>> avoid the font definition problem totally.  However, this means that PS
>>> conversion tools are useless text-wise, and apparently PDF isn't too
>>> happy either.
>>
>>No, you were perfectly clear.
>>
>>The question is: why not allow us the 0.90 solution
>>(i.e., reliance on built in fonts)?
>>
> It should be quite simple to resurrect, in fact it's
> partly done already:
>
> 2002-10-15  Hans Breuer  <hans@breuer.org>
>
> 	* app/diapsrenderer.[hc] : (new files, old content :-)
> 	simple base class for post script rendering. Does neither
> 	use Pango/FT2 nor does it handle non latin1 characters.
> 	The fancy stuff which nowadays appears to be needed should
> 	probably be done in derived class(es)
>
> searching for DiaPsRender shows only two occurences of it
> in app/render_eps.c where is instantiated with
>
> 	renderer = g_object_new (DIA_TYPE_PS_RENDERER, NULL);
>
> Currently this is only done in the else branch of HAVE_FREETYPE
> (the win32 default).
>
> If the old refactored PS Renderer can do what you want it
> probably should be made available in _addition_ to the
> DiaPsFt2Renderer, i.e. as additional export filter ...

The problem would be that there'd be no guarantee that the font would be
the same size as displayed, unless you're very careful.  We had a lot of
trouble with that previously.  If anybody wants to try, please go ahead.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor