Re: A matter of principle [Re: HIGification of dialog boxes]

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:22:15 +0200
> From: Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille@chepelov.org>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: A matter of principle [Re: HIGification of dialog boxes]
>
> Le Fri, Jul 18, 2003, à 04:31:15PM +0100, Alan Horkan a écrit:
>
> > I had a small screen for a very long time, this is a very personal pet
> > hate of mine.  Being told by some insensative clod to buy new hardware,
> > helps no one.
>
> Hello? That's not what I said. My point was: the instant-apply thing where

Stop you right there.  Sorry, the rant wasn't aimed at you are any of the
Dia devlopers really.  I know it is not the kind of thing you would say,
it was just a general rant inspired by your mention of limited screen
space and having to deal with other far less pleasant applications than
Dia.  Dia currently works for small screens and I would hate to see that
broken without an incredibly good reason.

> instant-apply thing is nonsense which leads in the wrong direction of too
> many open windows.

done badly, yes that could happen but it is aviodable.

> I consider 1024x768 and less as "postage-stamp"-sized. That is, unsuitable

> In fact, I'm pondering about a nice hack to have the toolbox take less space
> on the screen and still remain usable -- I'm just not so sure of how
> gtk-win32 would behave.

Being able to go fullscreen would provide more space.
In fullscreen mode you could have an autohide menu maybe?

> What would the usability folks think about that?

Not sure.  I doubt I would like it but it might work.

If you want to use the Menubar but also want to be able to toggle it more
easily would you consider adding a menu item for it and a keybinding.

- Alan