Re: Support for callbacks...

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> I have been quite for a long time,
> most of you remember my bitching and moaning, and lots of vapor ware.
>
> There has been little interest in the cross compilation project, and
> that has been put aside. I have been using dia alot for diagramming and
> am very happy with it.
>
> I think it is possible in this lifetime to create a collaborative
> environment where we can all build in simple components.
>
> Dia will need to gives up some control over the internal representation
> of the data, or aleast allow for a network access to that
> representation, then we can make truly impressive application out of
> dia.
[...]
> I intend on building this functionality into dia. Basically replacing
> the xml save with a xml-rpc post of the data. Later allowing diffs to
> be sent incrementally. (undos as well). The entire system will allow
> complete scripting extension of dia via any language that is able to
> understand xmlrpc (all can) .
[...]

> Of course all these heavy protocols can be implemented using inline
> modules that are just linked in via ipc or via static linking... but
> then you lose the flexibility.

It's an interesting direction.  I guess it could be good for a Wiki-like
system for diagrams.  However, I still think most diagrams will be made
with a stand-alone local Dia, so it'd be important that the non-RPC version
(equivalent to the current Dia) should not suffer in efficiency.

However, I don't think this is the right time for such an all-encompassing
change to Dia.  We're getting closer to having something that is a viable
tool for individual use.  I'll try to steer towards a version 1.0 that has
as few incomplete pieces as possible and is internally consistent.  A
number of interface issues need to be worked out, as well as some
structural things that are essential (multi-object properties, for
instance).  Until this is done, tearing into the basis of Dia to do
collaborative versions is just going to be counter-productive.

I'm not sure what change would be necessary to make xml-rpc save, as you
suggest.  It'd be interesting to have a prototype collaborative Dia that
just sends diagrams back and forth, probably using a plugin to talk to each
other.  But I'm not going to start major changes now.  We've made so much
progress that I don't want to risk it on a new fancy thing before we have a
stable branch.

> I think people would use this function of dia, and it would allow you
> to make interactive web applications using dia as browser....

That's a lofty goal.  And not one that I see as particularly relevant to
Dia.  Dia is meant to support in making diagrams of various kinds, not
become an interactive web application basis.

I'm sorry if I come off as harsh, but I believe it's important to keep the
focus on what we're trying to create.  There are many, many things that can
be done usefully with Dia without turning it into a browser.  Collaboration
is interesting, and I'd like to see plugins with that intent.  Just don't
expect major changes to support it, as I'm (slowly) gearing towards a 1.0
release.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor