Re: Input Methods, is it like what Mozilla calls Character Coding?

Alan Horkan wrote:
> Dia has a menu for Input Methods.
> As the languages I know are only within the extended Latin alphabet I dont
> really know what it is for beyond Inputting Letters in languages with
> different Character sets.
>
> I am wondering if this feature is the same as or similar to the feature in
> Mozilla Composer that lives in the View Menu
> View, Character Coding, ...

The Character Coding option is used to enable the charset decoder for
whatever encoding was used to write the page.

> If it is the same then how about giving it the same name and putting it in
> the same place?  (I realise there may be downsides to this, but I want to
> know more about the feature before I go on further).
>
> Sincerely

the Input Methods menu is used to input non-english languages.
For examply, I use the Russian IM to type romanized letters and get
cyrillic letters and I use the Japanese IM to type romanized letters and
get kana/kanji ...

The mozilla feature is for decoding charsets.
The Input Methods menu is part of GTK2 and is used for input.

Two completely different things.