Re: parenting (patch)

Alan Horkan wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Vadim Berezniker wrote:
>

> I am not sure what I am supposed to see but i opened p.dia in Dia 0.91 and
> all I got was a lone rectangle.
> I did not expect much because I had not applied the patch but I wanted to
> make the point if a Dia user has a patched version and send this file to a
> user who has not applied the patch the resutls probably wont be very
> pleasant.
> Hopefully this patch can be included in the next version of Dia.

The biggest problem is that 'children' are stored in the file as
sub-nodes of the parent object, and thus a version w/o this patch won't
even see those objects that have a parent.

I could rewrite the saving/loading to store the objects the same way
they were stored before, but I would need to have some kind of way to
uniquely identify each object.

The cheapest solution is to just write an integer with every object and
increment it after each object... that's not a very good solution though.

I'd be happy to change it if you have any recommendations.