Adding connectors to lifelines

I'm working on a fairly complex sequence diagram, and I need more than
three connectors on some of my lifeline boxes.  I searched the archives
and found this message[1], but when I middle-click on the lifeline I get
a popup with a single grayed-out item (No object menu).  Is there
anything I can do?

I'm using Dia 0.88.1, installed from the Debian package.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2002-April/msg00255.html

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9