Re: xfs not enough to run dia ?

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Robert Carnecky wrote:
> I am using thin client X-terminal running flash ROM Linux
> (www.thintune.com).  X11 server software is xfree4, but there is limited
> set of locally installed fonts and no chance to edit any X*config files
> (flash rom). All fonts are downloaded from enterprise font server (xfs).
> Dia segfaults when I try to put a text object into drawing. There is a
> lot of messages in the mailing list solving this problem ... but all
> solutions expect running X11-server and dia on the same workstation
> and/or having full access to config files. Any way to work with font
> server only ?

No.  X font services simply don't give us enough font imformation.  We need
font outlines to do PostScript output and anti-aliased fonts.  X font
services have given us nothing but grief, and we're abandoning them in
favor of FreeType.

The CVS version uses font-config to setup fonts, which has a per-user
config part, and is also somewhat better about alternative fonts.