Re: Dia-list digest, Vol 1 #758 - 5 msgs

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:
>> I agree that having a different extension would be nice.  Maybe .diaz?
>> .zdia?  I prefer .zdia.
>
> As a fan of Cameron .diaz is tempting but maybe .zgdia or even gzdia/gzd.
> (I wont even get carried away like .gnumeric and suggest
> .gzipped-diagram).
>
> I guess .zdia makes sense.
>
> Not many people would mistake it for Zip and even i dont think anyone
> would think it was unix compress .Z
>
> Should we think of zdia simply as compressed .dia
> and make sure not to preclude the future possibility of using other
> compression codecs to compress your .zdia file?
> (im thinking tar.gz files to include any embedded images, and probably at
> some point LZW Zip archives)

For embedding images (and shapes and stuff), I don't know that tar is the
best -- we'd like to be able to embed in uncompressed files as well.

Using different compression codecs, while flexible, would also make it more
confusing, especially for programs wanting to read Dia files.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor