Re: keybindings/feature requests?

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 14:09, Lars Clausen wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2003, David Fallon wrote:
> > I've been using dia lately, and it's awesome! Thanks a lot to everyone
> > involved for the app. Stuff like connection points, and the
> > scale-to-pages stuff has worked like a charm. This is all with dia 0.91,
> > btw. A few questions/issues:
> >
> > Bugs go in bugzilla? In particular, the page setup dialog has some
> > strange issues - you can't just change the "scaling -> fit to" option
> > without switching to "scaling->scale" first, then back and apply. and if
> > you switch back and forth between the two, both options keep growing (I
> > start with scale 40.5, fit to: 1-2, fit to selected. Switch to scale,
> > fit to grows to 1-3. switch to fit to, scale grows to 42.1. Keeps going
> > from there.). And finally, as you keep switching, the alg for "fit to"
> > stops working - After causing it to grow i switched back to 1-2 and hit
> > apply, and it got most but not all of my diag into 2 pages. I had to
> > close the dialog, reopen, and re-hit apply before it did it properly.
>
> Rather strange.  Haven't been able to reproduce it, perhaps it's some
> interesting corner case.

I just tried reproducing it, and had some of the same issues - I can now
just change the fit to and hit apply, and it works, and the scaling
doesn't seem off anymore, but it will still grow as I switch between the
two options (just toggling back and forth between the radio buttons). I
can send you the diagram if it's helpful. I'll open a bug.

> > More keybindings would be awesome! In particular, keys to toggle snap to
> > grid, reset tool after create (and move to a menu instead of
> > preferences), and a key for each of the default tools, or maybe a
> > "next/previous tool" key. This is something I'm capable/happy to submit
> > patches on if someone can confirm what keys it should be.
>
> Unfortunately, the text input mechanism gets in the way of this -- we can't
> assign single-key shortcuts as long as text input happens in the same mode
> as regular editing.  Something ala Nautilus' name edit thing has to come in.

Ah? Okay. I don't know about how the code is setup - I was presuming
that whenever I didn't have a text object selected, you could setup the
keystrokes to do stuff. Just that would be a significant improvement
over the existing stuff, as it would give users a percentage chance of
being able to do stuff. Perhaps the UI change is double-clicking allows
you to edit, while single-clicking just selects? And when you're in
text-edit mode, I don't think anyone would expect the keys to do
anything other than add text.

> > Anti-aliasing seems to have artifact issues as I scroll/work - when I
> > turn it on it looks great, but has problems over time.
>
> Can you give a more detailed description?

Er, not really... but I can give you screenshots/send the diagram.

> > Being able to configure what holding alt does would be awesome - it
> > doesn't seem to do anything currently? The default should probably be
> > the move tool, although it'd be cool if it was configurable so you could
> > switch it to something you used often if you wanted to.
>
> Now there's an interesting idea.  Same could go for shift and control.
> We've been holding off on assigning them simply because there's too many
> different ideas of what should go where.

Yes, although I'd assume control does the usual add/remove from
selection rather than resetting the selection. I will submit this in
bugzilla.