Re: Exporting With Text On Win32

On 2 Dec 2003, Steffen Macke wrote:
>> Yes, freetype2+fontconfig doesn't compile on Win32, so the libart
>> renderer for Win32 cannot do text.
>
> Au contraire, they compile on win32 (at least Tor Lillqvist managed). I
> just compiled dia Win32 with freetype support and the png and apparently
> it works.

That's great!  I'd no idea that was coming up.

> Lars - how about a 0.92.3 release?

Well, things have started to change again, so it'd be a bit messy to do
that now.  Much as it'll be great to get rid of the random Win32 font crap,
it's really too big a change to put in as a "brown bag" release -- it is a
new feature on the Win32 side.  Also, I want it to get proper testing, not
just the couple of days that a .3 would entail.

We could shoot for a 0.93 soon, but then I've just started work on a
caching system to speed up text rendering (much needed, and volunteers
welcome!).  I think a 0.93 with unified, fast text would be a great thing
to shoot for.  If I force myself to not try to fix other pressing problems
(apart from applying patches), we ought to be seeing something around New
Years.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor