Re: How many use the diagram tree?

On 11 Aug 2003, ashalper@cox.net wrote:
>> From: Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
>> Date: 2003/08/11 Mon AM 11:35:33 EDT
>>
>> Nice rant:) I've toyed with the nothing of altering the handle system to
>> at least allow a 'drop line into object' style.  It would indeed be nice
>> if you could attach anywhere.  The only reason I see for the handles is
>> to have a way to attach 'prettily', i.e. exactly in the middle or
>> exactly at the corner.  What's ERwin do there?
>
> It's not possible to detach the relationship lines from their entity
> boxes once the relationship is created.  Relationships are created by
> depressing the appropriate tool, then clicking on the parent entity, then
> the child entity in sequence.  Once the relationship line is created,
> drag is allowed anywhere on the line (there are no handles on the line),
> but the line always remains attached to its respective entity(s) until
> it's deleted, or the parent/child entity is deleted.
>
> I find it alternately useful/annoying depending on what I'm trying to do.

Not being able to change it would certainly be annoying in a Dia context; I
guess ERwin doesn't think of connections as first-class citizens, but
merely an indication that the two entities are related.  Not a behaviour I
think we want to copy.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor