Re: Objects categories

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, David Nedrow wrote:

> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:12:05 -0400
> From: David Nedrow <listbox@nedron.net>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Objects categories
>
> What is the goal for the default sheets provided with Dia? Is it to
> provide a limited number of very loose categories, or a larger set of
> finer grained categories?

To provide so many shapes and sheets that we are forced to come up with a
better way of managing a large collections of shapes and sheets!

I'm thinking tree view, some sort of file browser type thingy maybe.
Having something analogous to Visio like
File -> Open Sheets -> Categories -> Sheets
would would work but if you have used this system for any amount of time
you will realise that it is quite clunky (some of which can be compensated
by tearoff menus but) it is not a particularly elegent solution and I
think we could do better.  Possibly we could have it in addition to
another better method.

But seriously before I ramble on any further I dont think there was any
particular plan.

> The current incarnatino (including CVS and release) has an unusual mix
> of both. For example, there is a very specific GRAFCET category which
> includes stuff related specifically to GRAFCET. On the other hand,
> there's "network" which includes not only network items (generic router
> and switch symbols), as well as a number of what I would consider
> "Computing" and "Telephony" devices (eg. 3.5 in diskette and mobile
> phone, resp.)
>
> WOuldn't it be better to come up with slightly more cohesive
> categorization for the sheets? I know there will obviously be some
> overlap, but I think the sheets could be more intuitive for users.

Yes.

I think the current interface does not lend it self to better
categorisation but we could still consider having something like
Electronics - Logic
Electronics - Circuits
Eletronics - Cybernetics

with a view to restructing this as a tree view later.  As things get more
complicated and we get even more shapes (i wish so much that we could use
all those lovely Gnome SVG icons and drawings directly in Dia) it will
probably be necessary to take the sheet selection out of the Toolbox
window and put in its own window.  Perhaps the when the Sheets and Objects
Dialog gets an overhaul it could be turned into a modal "Sheets..." Window
or something, who knows.

> What are people's thoughts on this? I'd be willing to come up with a
> proposed arrangement for the current objects and some recommended
> additions for objects we've created inhouse.

Please do, but dont put too much effort into it as people will likely want
to make suggestions and possible change things around (even if the first
thing you suggest is exactly what we end up going with :)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan