Re: Some featurerequests

On % Aug 2003 Lars Clausen wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2003, Sven Vermeulen wrote:

> > I'd like to have extra options that add a bridge, meaning that two
lines
> > that cross each other cannot confuse the users about whereto what
line
> > goes. As an image sais more than a thousand words, please view
> > http://studwww.ugent.be/~sjvermeu/dia-0001.png. Sorry for the
freehand
> > draw :)
>
> Yes, I see it.  That is a very useful thing for clarifying diagrams.
>
> > That bridge should be moveable though, so it's like "Add corner"
in the
> > polyline, only it's not a corner but some small arc.
>
> While it could be moveable by hand as easily, it'd probably make
more sense
> to have it be associated with the crossing line, so that if either
line
> moves, the bridge is moved accordingly.  In fact, that style would be
> easier internally, as it doesn't require adding a new handle.
>
> > This feature is more ease-of-use because I know I can just draw a
line,
> > then draw an arc, and then draw a line again, but it would be fun
if I
> > could do this more easily.
>
> No, that's way more than just ease-of-use.  If there is some kind of
> diagram validity checker or simulator involved, having it be an
actual line
> rather than three line pieces can make a lot of difference.
>
> It's not going to happen in this upcoming release, but it's worth
keeping
> in mind.  For electronics diagrams, it's an essential feature.

Alternatives to using those bridges which would arouse the need tof
Dia to analize the "drawing" to discover where two lines are crossing
in order to change their rendering, could be:

1) to mark in some notorious way  the points where lines cross. It
would mean that some "nodes" should be added An this is quite easy  to
implement, and easier  to validate. (This methoh I use because I need
to simulate circuits, and need to put identified nodes not only where
several lines come together but in between any two elements...)

2) we coud have some "false nodes"  joining de lines and that false
nodes could be represented as that crossed with bridges . This could
also be easy to implement and validate (at least for just  two line
crossings)

Both alternatives certainly would need  more user work to draw and
more moving  of objets whenever  the circuit is modified.
Loli
email:  loli@unsa.edu.ar
Sent using NeoMail, a web-based e-mail client.
http://neomail.sourceforge.net