Re: a future Dia package for geometrically precise mathematical figures?

Le Tue, Sep 24, 2002, à 04:27:45PM +0100, Alan Horkan a écrit:

> > If a user has problems locating packages for his distro, he should either
> > learn better how to use his stuff, or change said distro, period. Hell, even
>
> Okay so links to the relevant distributor instead.  Great.

Yep.

> > What we should do, however, is prepare a list of "people to notify" when we
> > do a new release, so that binaries are prepared for the relevant
> > environments in a more timely manner.
>
> Create a low traffic list dia-announce and promise only to mail people
> about new releases of Dia?

I don't know if there would be enough of interest, enough of traffic (with a
yearly release ;-) ). And it would still require maintenance against
spammers.

> > (being involved in Debian packaging, I know it's a PITA to try to follow an
> > upstream who is generally helpful but doesn't announce new releases)
>
> It is tragic that the Darwin people did pass any patches back upstream, i
> guess they have probably had too deal with too many unhelpful developer
> groups and were too dissillusioned to bother.  Shame really.

I did not accuse the Darwin guys of not passing patches; I just don't know
if they needed to make these patches in the first place. I hope that they
didn't, and if they did, I wish they passed them back.

The Debian packaging I mention is not related to dia (AFAIK, Hallon is the
Debian maintainer for dia) (just to make sure -- my initial wording wasn't
that clear).