Re: Re[2]: lines

On 22 Sep 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:

> Date: 22 Sep 2002 11:26:20 -0500
> From: Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: Re[2]: lines
>
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> >> As an aside, I discovered something odd while trying
> >> to find a work-around that does not require snapping
> >> to the grid.  Add a line object and place the one
> >> endpoint on top of the other.  It makes a connection
> >> with itself that cannot be broken.  Since Polylines
> >> and Bezierlines do not display this behavior, I am
> >> guessing it is unintentional.
> >
> > Yes this is unintentional
> >
> > Interstingly it can be broken if you select end point and join it to the
> > start point.
> > In effect the end point is on top and you can drag it away.
> > If however you connect the start point to the end point you get the
> > behaviour you describe.
>
> Is this in version 0.90?  I put in a fix so that objects won't connect to
> themselves, to avoid exactly that problem.

Yes

> > I cannot imagine this would be useful very often,
> > if a user really wanted a single dot they could always use a text
> > object containing a single full stop character.
>
> Not the best solution, but it could work.

Can you imagine anyone actually needing a single dot?

> > It would be nice to be able to connect lines to lines and have them
> > become polylines/paths.
>
> That could be cute...  come to think of it, why do we have a single-element
> line when polyline can do the same and more, and defaults to a single line?

I think just no one ever got around to it.
The polygon defaulting to only 3 sides always stuck me as a little odd,
especially before i figured out how to add corners.  (hard to describe the
other method, 'free draw' or something i think its called)

I really like the behaviour of the GobeProductive drawing tool it is
really comfortable to use.

I have a quite a few ideas some a lot simpler than others i want to
discuss on IRC on monday and i hope to have a few patches for you before
the inevitable trade offs, contridicitions, and indicision drive me nutz.
Reading lots of the Gnome HIG.
(On irc.debian.org #dia is it? i would prefer to use irc.gnome.org but it
is not important)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan