Re: XMI (and Kivio and GPL and Java)

> Interoperability is an important part of being 'as good as possible'.
>  It's
> not like we don't want import/export for Visio files just because
> Microsoft
> makes money off Visio.
Yes, because we want to get Microsofts customers.

> Having more import/export options improves
> our
> program, not theirs.  The real question is whether anybody cares
> enough
> about the Kivio files to make import/export plugins.  I certainly
> don't.
And very few other people do either.

> [...]
> > I have looking into the pdf2html lib if you want to have a pdf
> import,
> > and have figured out most of the drawing code.
>
> That sounds interesting!  Exporting PDF would be wonderful, since
> neither
> Macs nor PCs understand PS by default.  Do you think you're learning
> enough
> PDF to be able to do that?
Not yet, just reading them.

> How are you considering importing PDF?  As something similar to
> images, or
> decomposed into native Dia lines, text etc?
Yes, I have been working on the XML extraction of data from PDF to
extract source code from the ECMA specs for the C# lang from microsoft.
The XPDF tool builds an C++ class object model of the document and
interprets that to display it, I was thinking about translating that
into some form of image inside of dia. This is a bit in the future, but
maybe someone thinks its a good idea.

> > The rational rose can be done via XMI.
> >
> > Visio is another story, and the result should be free.
>
> Way other story, and way old.  Though it should be possible with XSLT
> now,
> for Visio2002 files.  The spec is out there.
Yup.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont