Noob testing on Win32....

> > Hummmm.....
> > I'm afraid I use Gentoo (Not Debian) and I don't use X.
> you dont need x to help test compile, that is the great thing.
> It could even be automated.
Except I'm going to be missing stacks of libs.... no?

> Ahh, can you try installing the debian source packages under gentoo?
> there must be way to convert, I will look into that.
Havn't a clue. I think their quite different, Gentoo uses BSD style ports
called ebuilds rather than packages. Maybe I can install the debian
package manager but everything is probbaly going to be in the wrong
places. Gentoo is conforms to FSH 1.1 but not your standard RedHat SystemV
stuff.

> I will look if there
> > I also don't
> > have
> > the time to get into cygwin in the depth I suspect I would need too
> > :(
> > Sorry. Is there any straight up Win32 testing I can help with?
> Maybe you can alien out the exes and libs for testing?
Maybe if I knew what alien was..... it looks like some sort of packaging tool.

> yes, you can get the debs, and somehow extract the files or wait and
> someone who has debian can extract and publish them.
>
> that would be a great test. Mike garnsey has reported that he can even
> replace the DLLs of the libxml that he as built under debian
> with the installed DIA under windows and it works.
EH? Are you saying that you can take the debian binarys and use them as
Win32 Dlls?!?!? That would be cool......

> This would even be a great test, I will have to think about it,
> but we could install the libs + headers of the ports that hans and tor
> have been working on, and then use them to fake the environment of each
> debian package individually. That would make it possible to port all of
> the packages at the same time. Kinda like resolving the problem in
> parallel.
>
> What do you think?
I'm not 100% on what your going on about but in theory I'm in. If all else
fails I can set up annother Gentoo machine just for this (I think we have
one around) but we are wandering into parts of Linux I've only dabbled in.
I was trained as a C coder many moons ago on a BSD system and I'm a
NT/Win2k MCSE. My Unix admin skills are purely from my spare time goofing
off. I recon I can put a few hours a week into a bit of Dia testing but
you may have to give me links and help on the tools I've not used before
(Like alien). In all it sounds like fun. Let me know.....

  Nick