Re: petal2dia?

--- Andrew Marlow <apm35@student.open.ac.uk> wrote:
> dia-list@gnome.org writes:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Is there a path for transitioning Rose models to dia/UML?
> >
> IMO this is impossible. The petal file is closed-secret-proprietary
> and
> even if it could be reserve engineered the format is subject to
> change
> without notice.

Fine. You are right, I have answered a differnt question.
Why Petal, why not XMI?

> I would much rather that there was a suitable open
> standard then RatRose and Dia could both conform to it. Unfortunately
> don't think that XMI is quite good enough yet.

I don't know, personally I think XMI is *BAD*, but it would be good
enought for exchanging with ArgoUML.

> Other standards are
> currently being worked on.
Which ones? pray tell?

> In the meantime XML seems the best way to
> go to
> me, since it would then be possible to write XSLT translators when a
> standard is finally agreed on.

Well, XMI is a good example of a very hard to use XML format.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/