RE: Menu bar issues

> Hubert,
>
> I have found an unusual bug that seems to be related to your menu bar.  When
> the menu bar is first enabled in the preferences dialog, ^D for delete stops
> working.  Once you exit and restart Dia, ^D works properly.  When I first
> tried the menu bar, I was so frustrated by this, that I disabled it.  So I
> never discovered that it eventually went away until recently, by accident.

toolbar rocks, it might be worth turning it on by default to show off this
new feature.  "use menu bar" in the preferences is a bit too terse, and
without trying it it is not immediately obvious what menubar it might be
taking about, perhaps "use menu bar in document window"
even without a restart ctrl+d still works fine for me (rc1 on win32)
incidentally i was thinking that "diagram tree" should really be in the
User Interface Preferences tab rather than the file menu.

> Most people probably didn't give up so easily, which would explain why more
> of them didn't complain (I reported it to the mailing list when I discovered
> it; I can't rememver if I put it in Bugzilla).  This bug may seem innocuous,
> because it goes away.  But, like me, users may be frustrated by it.  And it
> is, after all, a bug.
>
> I also have not found how to access the menu from the keyboard.  I've tried
> alt+key, Esc, and F10.  Could accelerator keys be added for this?

i can confirm this bug

> Preferably alt+key like most applications.  If not, the underlined letters
> in the menu items should be removed.

Anything other than Alt would be horrible to me, like nails on a
chalkboard.

I may as well mention now the behaviour i have noticed in the toolbox
window.  If you press Alt+f there is no way to dismiss the menu without choosing an
option, usually if you press alt again the menu will go away.  this is
probably just a gtk thing.

> I'm glad you added the menu bar, since I find it more natural and efficient
> (when keyboard access works) than the right-click menu (which should
> activate a context menu).  But it still needs a little bit of polish.

yeah it rules, maybe the Gimp developers will see what they are missing.

> Thanks,
Thanks hub

Sincerely
Alan