Re: [long] lots of problems, you did ask ... [was Re: RC1 stats]

> > The tree view is intersting, but i was also hoping/expecting to see the
> > new Preferences dialog and Hubert Figueres toolbar enhancement.
>
> I'm not very up to date on this. Have these patches been committed ? Are
> people waiting for me to commit them ? (I need to be made more aware of
> them, then). Hubert's toolbar enhancement may be the button with the
> right-pointing triangle, located in left upper corner, between the rulers.
> You need to enable a setting in the prefs dialog to see it, IIRC.

I have seen a screen shot of Hub's enhancement and it is definately not
the triangle in the top left corner.  I described it badly it is a menu
bar with the options such as File, Save, Close etc from the the right
click menu.

I have not seen the new proposed Preferences dialog, i did not have a
copy of Glade for windows (it does exist) and the link failed the other
time.

> > The installer sets up a load of things in the context menu.
> > One them is obviously wrong:
> > C:\Program Files\dia\bin\dia.bat
> > and there are way too many of the others which are of the form
> > Create X,
> > where X is virtually all the export formats dia supports.
> > These should be trimmed back to about five of the most useful/commonly
> > used export formats and/or put into a "Convert to" submenu or something.
>
> I plead guilty for writing the wishlist bug asking for these entries; a
> submenu may be a good idea. dia 0.90.RC1 is on my work machine, but I didn't
> have the time to check this.

> Yes; EML.sheet MUST NOT BE DISTRIBUTED.
>
> The EML library has been contributed about a year ago; however, it lacks GPL
> and Copyright headers. I pinged the original author so that he sends us a
> fix, otherwise we don't legally have the right to distribute this work. He
> failed to answer, so I disabled the objects/EML directory; normally
> EML.sheet.in is not registered in sheets/Makefile.am anymore. I guess it's
> still in the Win32 makefiles.

That sucks.  To avoid this kind of thing happening again perhaps there
could there be a very loud and clear warning that all commits by default
automatically grant copyright to you (Cyrille and/or other main
developers).

> Well, if you break things, broken behaviour can't be totally unexpected....

im a (amatuer) tester, its what i do :).  I was considering if i could
remove things to make dia smaller, and as i mentioned i dont much like
splash screens.

> > When i right click on a diagram and do not have an object selected i
> > expected the Diagram Properties dialog (which includes background
> > propeties) rather than an error message telling me i have not selected
> > anything.  Alternatively (but less useful) if all you are going to do is
> > tell me i have nothing seleceted then why not grey/gray out the Properties
> > menu item.
>
> Please file a minor enhancement bug; this would indeed be nice to fix.

I dont have time, maybe after my exams i remember.  (i have added it to my
now ridiculously long post Exam TODO list).

> > it still sucks that my laptop only has two buttons and i need to plugin a
> > mouse to access the middle button features.  maybe ctrl+rightclick to
> > emulate third button or perhaps someone knows of a workaround.
>
> C-rightclick is indeed working very well on Windows.

doh! your right, i cant beleive i missed it. i thought i had tried it.

> > color you prefer).  It would be great if dia could be set to
> > (centi)meters rather than inches based on my locale (but im geussing this
> > is another win32 flaw).

> dia talks centimetres only. We even get bug reports from the country which
> usually inflicts us non-standard units (like Mozilla which won't let me set
> the paper and margin sizes in units I can understand...)
>
> read http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=61422&repeatmerged=yes
> and have some fun. I actually resisted a couple times sending a reply (on a
> "this is the revenge" tone)...

The Letter page size request is not unreasonable but any requests for non
metric units should really be accompanied by money or code (code could
probably be used from Gimp).  I cringe at supposedly futuristic American
television programs that still use inches.

I might still drink pints of Guinness and have to walk for miles to get
home and and only really know my weight in stones but it has just got to
be metric (the imperial system is not even decimal for crying out loud).

> It would probably nice to make the default grid 2.5 mm across with the
> visible grid 4x the actual grid size. This is usually what I do after a
> little while, when I work on a diagram. May make even more sense to make
> this a pref, and have these prefs be loaded as defaults when opening a new
> diagram.

Thanks

Sincerely
Alan Horkan