Freetype problems under RH7.3

The current FreeType code relies on X providing a font path list, and on
this list containing paths to TrueType and other fonts. Under RH7.3 the
XFree86 supplied has the font paths specified correctly. It doesn't however,
load the modules which enable XFree86 to interpret these fonts and hence
XFree86 discards the paths to these fonts from the font path.
Hence dia complains about not having any fonts, and the usual suspect, the
font path, is not to blame.

I note that other programs which use freetype have a list of hard coded, or
user supplied, font paths. Should we look at this, or do a hack by looking
for an xfs configuration file (/etc/X11/fs/config) and using the chkfontpath
(a RH utility) code to extract font paths?

I am concious that most RH7.x users will have the same troubles I have
experienced when we make a release.

I'm willing to cut some code if required.

Regards,
Rob.