Re: Simple line connections

Lars wrote:
> On Sun, 5 May 2002, Arne Christian Hårseth wrote:
> > Why is there no connection point at the end of a simple line?

This wasn't answered?

> > I find lines to behave rather strange when it comes to connections. If I
> > draw a line between two boxes (or any other non line object I guess) I
> > can move the boxes and the line will follow. If however I move the line
> > it is no longer connected and moves separately from the connected
> > objects. If I draw two connected lines in a T shape and then move the
> > horizontal line the connected vertical line will follow. If however I
> > move the vertical line it is no longer connected and moves separately.
> >
> > Would it not be more intuitive to let a line behave like any other
> > object? If you need to detatch a connected line then do so explisitly
> > (ie. with midle or right mouse click and choose detatch).
>
> I think most of us find the current setup more intuitive.  There is a
> difference between elements and connections, in that connections can bind
> to elements, and moving elements moves their connections as well.

I am afraid I don't follow you.
Anyway I don't understand why there should be a difference in the connection handling depending on wether the line is horizontal or vertical?

> Now note that there's two ways to move a connection:  Either grab the
> middle of the connection and move the whole line (detaches both endpoints),
> or grab one end of the connection and move that end (detaches one
> endpoint).  It might be more intuitive if the first way, rather than
> detaching both endpoints, moved the elements instead.

Exactly!

> When you grab an
> endpoint, you automatically 'loosen' the connection at that point.  I would
> hate to have to use an extra mouse click to detach.

When I think of it I think I agree.

> > If you have turned on "snap to grid" and draw a line from a an objects
> > connection point which happens to be outside the grid then you can not
> > make the line horizontal (or vertical) without turning off "snap to grid"
> > or change the grid resolution. I find this to be to much work. Could it
> > be an idea to allow the line (or an object) to snap to the extention of
> > the connection point?
>
> Yes, there are some things that could be done, like Set Horizontal/Set
> Vertical.

I think automatically using a hidden snapline from a connection point as I suggested would be easier.

Arne