plugging in to plugins

Is there a favorite place you know where I can read about plugins?
Everyone talks about creating a plugin like it's the easiest and most
natural thing in the world, but I don't have a clue.

Like, is there a Hello World plugin somewhere, with a tutorial?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.  It doesn't seem Googleable to me.
Thanks.

--jkl