Preferences dialog (RE: Review of Keybindings [Re: Dia's user interface])

> > I looked at Dia's preferences with new eyes.  Using Glade,
> I mocked up a
> > new preferences dialog
> >
> >  http://www.SchemaMania.org/dia/noodle/dia_preferences.glade.

[...]
> I really like the look of that.  The prefs dialog at the moment is an
> eyesore (though very easy to extend), and it's difficult to
> tell what only goes for new diagrams.

It does look good, but it will be difficult to maintain those good looks as
options inevitably get added.

The Gimp preferences dialog is great; Mozilla's is very similar.  It uses a
tree control in the left pane; clicking on a node brings up a page of
related options on the right.  This allows even more logical organization
than a notebook control, including the ability to have subheadings and to
separate "advanced" options from common ones.

Hopefully, it would be straightforward to borrow Gimp's code, since it uses
GTK+.  I also think that the more similarities between Gimp's and Dia's user
interfaces, the better.

Rob Campbell
rob.campbell@att.net