[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Confused about diagram page sizing



Well, I spent several hours installing stuff and
trying to build dia from CVS to no avail. I'm sure it
is my lack of understanding that is to blame, but I
can't spend any more time on this, and will have to
abandon it. One request: how about you developers
create an RPM from CVS that'll run on Redhat 7.2. The
last release was quite a long time ago. The most
annoying problems with dia 0.88.1 are frequent crashes
and the problem of the sheet growing and growing and
growing, forever. After editing for a short time, it's
hard to even find the drawing!

Anyway, out of frustration, I ask you to please
generate an RPM for us non-Linux expert users. As a
matter of fact, it would seem to me to make sense to
generate RPMs much more frequently - they could be
marked as semi-stable, or something - just to make
them easy to try.

Thanks again for taking the time to try to help.

Rick Horowitz
--- Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Rick Horowitz wrote:
> > Thanks for helping me out with my questions. I
> have a
> > much better understanding now, but I have a couple
> of
> > follow-up questions, below, if you'd be so kind as
> to
> > reply once more.
> [...]
> > Questions about using the CVS version:
> > 
> > 1. I'm running Redhat 7.2, pretty much out-of-the
> box.
> > Do you know if I'll need to upgrade gnome or any
> of
> > the other dependencies of dia from what I am
> currently
> > running, in or to run dia from CVS?
> 
> The only problem seems to be intltool, which is only
> in Rawhide for RH7.2.
> It's available at
>
<ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/intltool-0.17-1.i386.rpm>,
> though.
> 
> > 2. I'm a novice Linux user. Is the dia build
> process
> > straightforward and well documented?  If not, I'll
> > probably not want to spend time with it and would
> > appreciate knowing up-front.
> 
> The build process is straight-forward *if* you have
> all the necessary
> developer libraries installed.  Check the FAQ
> (<URL:http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia>) to see
> if you have them.  To
> check what version you currently have, do e.g.
> 
> rpm -q libxml-devel
> 
> You'll of course also need to have a C compiler, as
> well as some devel
> tools that are (should be:) default in RH: 
> autoconf, automake,
> libtool... If you haven't done any compilation
> before, they may not be
> there, though.  Documentation for compilation is in
> the INSTALL file.  As a
> novice user, it is a valuable experience -- being
> able to compile from
> sources reduces your dependency on RH (but opens up
> a can of worms of
> having stuff installed from outside your package
> manager).
> 
> >> > 4. If I were to print from a diagram screen,
> would
> >> I
> >> > get a printed page for each "page" on the dia
> >> diagram
> >> > that I've drawn?  How can I get rid of all
> these
> >> > excess empty dia pages?
> >> 
> >> By writing some logic to eliminate empty pages. 
> > 
> > Do you mean that there is a mechanism for a user
> to
> > write such logic? Is this documented - what is it
> > called? Or, are you suggesting that a developer of
> dia
> > could write the required logic?
> 
> It'd be for a developer of Dia to write.
> 
> -Lars
> 
> -- 
> Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)|
> HŚrdgrim of Numenor
> "I do not agree with a word that you say, but I  
> |----------------------------
> will defend to the death your right to say it."   |
> Where are we going, and
>     --Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing Voltaire  |
> what's with the handbasket?
> _______________________________________________
> Dia-list mailing list
> Dia-list@gnome.org
> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/dia-list


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Sports - live college hoops coverage
http://sports.yahoo.com/



[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index] Mail converted by Mofo Magic and the Flying D

 
All trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective owners.

Other Directory Sites: SeekWonder | Directory Owners Forum

GuideSMACK