RE: Freetype Font Path

> Lars Clausen wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Robert Young wrote:
> >> Lars Clausen wrote

> >> on me and I
> >
> > <snip>

> >> that the current
> >> result there are
> >> referenced when
> couple of other
> >> method for
> >> it as a last
> >>
> >> Unopenable font paths are not a problem, they are simply
> skipped.  The
> >> problem appears if there are no local fonts.  Are you
> getting all your
> >> fonts from a server?
> >
> > It appears that all fonts are obtained from the font server
> (which is the
> > same machine). The only path returned from XGetFontPath is
> "unix:/7100".
> > Locally there are heaps of fonts installed and the X font
> server is aware
> > of all of them - does X need to know about them as well (using xset
> > +fp=<path> for instance)??
>
> Yes, you will need to tell X about them.  To do freetype, we
> need to get
> the actual font files, not just what X font servers give us.
> You should
> add lines to your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to look something like this:
>
> Section "Files"
>         FontPath        "unix/:7100"                    #
> local font server
>         # if the local font server has problems, we can fall
> back on these
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
> EndSection
>
> (modified for you being on RedHat of course.)  Yes, I know it
> sucks that we
> can't use the X font server stuff, but it just doesn't give
> enough info.

Works like a treat, thanks, especially since discovering I'm actually
running Xfree 3.3.* rather than 4.* ....

> > Any other ideas? If I get time I'll look into the
> message_error problem
> > further.
>
> That would be rather interesting.  Can you get any message_* to show?

Can't reproduce the problem at all - I've put message_ calls throughout the
code and they all work! Other than changing my XFree86 configuration back to
what it was, I can't think of anything else to try.

One request, Lars, could you move the error checking code which looks for
the Courier font in font_getfont_with_style into one of the initialise
functions so that if people have the same configuration problem as me that
they don't find out about it until they try and use text??

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Rob.