Re: Dia goes Gtk2, anyone else with it ?

At 13:14 08.06.02 +0200, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
>Le Sat, Jun 08, 2002, à 12:52:42PM +0200, Hans Breuer a écrit:
>> Hi all,
>> below you'll find some kind of 'plan' what more or less
>> needs to be done to make Dia a first class Gtk2 citizen.
>>
>> The first step just landed in cvs. [Beware: it will _not_
>> build as is on Linux and other *nix cause the auto/configure
>> stuff needs some love first.]
>
>I'll take care of that this week-end, using James' work as a basis.

Nice to hear that.

>> My GTK2 fixmes are FIXME? or GTKBUG?
>>
>> app/interface.c:123 /*static*/
>> app/interface.c:839 static void fill_sheet_menu
These are notes for me to remove the need of making
formerly static functions/vars static again if there is a cleaner
way to do it. (It almost always is. :)
>> app/render_libart.c probably broken on X11
>
>Actually, obsolete. We'll get rid of it.
What do you mean is obsolete :-) X11, libart ? or our nice libart
renderer, which has some X11 specific tweaking which I don't
understand nor use on win32 ...

>> app/sheet.c:207 move message_notice out of loop
>> app/ps_utf8.c : not yet build on win32
>
>What's wrong with it ?

still some #ifdefs and charconv_*.

>> app/render_eps.c : some further utf8 cleaning needed
>>
>> [...]
>
>tabs are evil. XIM still seems applicable, where GTK2 doesn't already take
>care of it !

AFAIK the Gtk2 way to do it has changed. So all within HAVE_XIM
will currently break with Gtk2.

>> [...]
>>   - no more: libunicode, separte gdk-pixbuf, charconv.[hc], HAVE_DIRENT
>
>charconv is still needed, at least to recover the pre 0.90 dia files (damn
>libxml1).
Nope. It all can be done with glib2 - in fact it already is.

>Has libunicode's functionality been swallowed by gtk or glib ? We
>still need stuff to extract a single unichar out of an utf8 string,
>iterators, etc...

All this standard glib stuff. One more reason to switch.

>> - make it compile without GTK_ENABLE_BROKEN
>
>what's it ?

There are some widgets in Gtk1.2 which were considered so broken,
that a complete re-write appeared to be appropriate in Gtk2.
They are GtkText (replacement GtkTextBuffer/GtkTextView) and GtkTree
(replaced with GtkTreeView GtkTreeModel). To still use the old
widgets one needs to define GTK_ENABLE_BROKEN.

>What's the status of the UTF8 #hell (UNICODE_WORK_IN_PROGRESS and
>GTK_TALKS_UTF8) ?

Almost all vanished already, beside the places noted above.
But please let us next time do such stuff on it's own
branch to keep patch size small :-)

	Hans