Re: dia 0.90: printing Japanese using --enable-freetype ?

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Mike Fabian wrote:

> Mike Fabian <mfabian@suse.de> writes:
>
> I believe if the printing problem with '--enable-freetype' can be
> solved, it is a better solution than the old printing support which I
> used in dia-0.88.1 to print Japanese, because it embeds the fonts in
> the PostScript output and therefore doesn't require the printer to
> have the fonts. It is nice to be able to print CJK on any printer,
> even without CJK fonts.
>
> On top of that, when the freetype support is enabled, dia
> automatically finds all installed TrueType and Type1 fonts in the X11
> font-path, even those which are not mentioned in font_data[] at all.
> This makes it very easy for the user to use other fonts with dia, one
> just has to drop them in a directory in the X11 font path and that's
> it.
>
> Therefore I believe that freetype is the way to go for dia.
>
> Is there an easy way to make the printing work for large fonts?

I have submitted a patch for printing Simplified Chinese
characters, which works for Simplified Chinese CJK fonts,
and I believe it should also work for other CJK fonts
(Korean & Japanese, by properly modifying the font_data
structure and disabling freetype support), but it breaks
the printing of non-latin0 fonts. Please read the
discussions on the following subjects:

	About the zh_CN.GB2312 locale
	printing on the Simpl. Chinese and other non-latin1 locales
	Printing and weird (non-latin0 ;-) ) charsets -- summary

LB