Re: Question about layout plugins

Cyrille,
Thanks a lot for your postive feedback. I dont know
how much time I will find for this in the next couple
of days.

I will review the code one more time to get a feeling
for how much work this will take.

It sounds like we are on the right track.
I have one or two more questions and commens below.

Best regards,
Mike
--- Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille@chepelov.org> wrote:
> > Can you please tell me where to start looking into
> > this, I have identified some click and move and
> update
> > handlers, but am interested in getting some input
> on
> > where you think the best interface would be
> placed.
>
> Basically, you need to access the
> lib/diagramdata.h:DiagramData structure
> and the Layer structure, then you'll of course be
> interested in the
> lib/object.h/Object structure (especially the
> position/bounding_box and the
> handles and connections member fields and their
> supporting methods
> (object_*() ).

Thanks, I will look into this this week.

> > Also on this note, what are the possibilities of
> > embedding hrefs in each object and exporting to
> jpg
> > image maps? I am sure that someone has looked into
> or
> > has done this already?
>
> These are two different features. First, for dia
> diagrams, you'd probably be
> better off by esporting to PNG image maps... Then,
Yes. PNG is great.

> adding a standard
> property of type URL, and, why not, tying it to
> Object (this would require
> bumping up the plugin API version which is fine for
> the time being),
where are the standard attributes stored? in Object? I
will look into it.

> and
> then find a way (renderer ?) to pass this URL to a
> PNG+ImageMap export
> plug-in.
Yes, well the layout engines will also need to get
thier extra attributes. The URL is also an attribute,
but needed by the renderer...
Also some form of unique id for each node, that would
be great for clickable graphs.

> Have fun. Be aware that major core changes are in
> the works, though.
Thanks, I noticed that you are in preparation for a
big changes. I Dont know how long I will need to get
started. But with your tips, it will be much easier.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont