Re: UTF-8 on stdout?

On 2002-07-06 at 15:56 -0500, Lars Clausen wrote:

> > On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 07:57:14PM +0100, Andrew Ferrier wrote:
> >
> >> Quick question: does anyone know how to print UTF-8 correctly
> >> on stdout? Specifically, the problem I'm having is correcting a
> >> bug in --credits where the UTF-8 encoding of some accents is
> >> not displaying correctly (e.g. Chepelov). See apx. line 328 of
> >> app_procs.c to see what I mean, or just run dia --credits. I
> >> want to retain this UTF-8 encoding because the same data is
> >> also used in the about box etc.
> >
> > I think there should be two command line switches: --credits and
> > --credits-utf8. The first outputs in whatever charset the locale
> > suggests while the second is used to generate AUTHORS.
>
> Isn't there a locale that uses UTF-8 that could be used to
> generate AUTHORS?

OK, now I have to admit to being a bit confused <grin>. Surely
what we want is for the accents etc. to be output correctly
both on the screen when using --credits and in the AUTHORS
file? Which will be the same thing in most cases, right? My
question is how to get the UTF-8 encoding to print out the
correct characters from the ASCII character set (see the
current output of --credits to see what I mean). Or am I
missing the point of all of this UTF-8 stuff totally?

Ta
Andrew

--
Andrew Ferrier