Adding a file to CVS?

What the usual procedure for adding a file to CVS? I've written
a patch to add --credits to dia, in preparation for using this
to automatically generate AUTHORS (bug #86375), and I've
factored out the contributors into a separate .h file for easy
maintainence (unusual but sensible I think). But I need to add
this into my patch, I guess, right? Yet when I run:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome diff -Nu

over my updated source tree, the patch is correct except that
it skips my added file. Is there merely some magical CVS
incantation I am missing, or is there a different way of doing
things?

Cheers,
Andrew.

--