CVS chaos

I replaced xml-i18n-tools (0.10?, I think it was Cyrille's tarball snapshot)
with intltool 0.12, but autogen.sh terminates with:

/configure: line 5338: syntax error near unexpected token
`AC_PROG_INTLTOOL(0.12)'
/configure: line 5338: `AC_PROG_INTLTOOL(0.12) '

Now type 'make' to compile dia.

Is there a syntax error in the Autoconf macro, or should I upgrade something?

Thanks,
Andy