Re: UML and Fonts when changing monitor resolution

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Cameron S. Watters wrote:

> There is additionally a "zoom" setting at the bottom of the page. While I
> find the zoom setting useful changing my perspective on the diagram
> (especially nice for multipage diagrams), changing my zoom level doesn't
> really solve the problem outright. If I zoom it way out, or way in,
> sometimes the on-screen representation looks pretty much right, however,
> printing is still an issue. Even if I play with the zoom so that it looks
> right on the screen, it still doesn't size the class diagrams correctly
> for printing. While I'm ultimately more concerned about onscreen at the
> moment, zooming out to 25% or in to 200% makes working with the document
> pretty cumbersome.

You're touching on a rather nasty problem:  When printing, we don't
actually use the lengths of the postscript font strings, but the length in
the diagram, using X fonts.  I've seen rather nasty examples where the two
were different.

> And finally, if someone could just point me to a way to make _only_ the
> UML object library (libuml_objects.so) without having to make the rest of
> dia, I'd leave everyone alone and hack a mod to it so that it estimates
> the width a little better (should be a pretty straightforward hack).

$ cd objects/UML
$ make