GDK error w/dia 0.88.1

Hello,
  I am running dia 0.88.1 on a RH 7.1 system, dia was installed from
source.  Every time I start up dia I get the following in the terminal
window ...

$ dia &
Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkpixmap.c: line 822 (gdk_pixmap_unref): assertion
`pixmap != NULL' failed.
Gdk-ERROR **:BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

Any ideas on the cause? Dia seems to work OK (muck more stable then 0.86)

Thanks

Andrew