Re: Dia Shapes

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:
>
>> Date: 08 Dec 2002 23:45:48 -0600
>> From: Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
>> To: dia-list@gnome.org
>> Subject: Re: Dia Shapes
>>
>> On Sun, 08 Dec 2002, J. S. Gilstrap wrote:
>> > I have been dabbling in dia for a couple of years and have
>> > created a library of shapes for printed circuit board pads
>> > and have taken the original Circuit library and have added
>
> I would like for us to have a Circuit Directory and divide the
> subdirectories into a sensible order.
> For now we may need to do something clunky in the GUI like circuits 1, 2
> ... N or have a "Schematic Circuits" sheet (or or ... i hope you get the
> gist) but hopefully later the GUI will have a way to nicely subcategorise
> shapes.  I am really optimistic about Dia and think we need an
> organised system that will still make some sense when we start having
> hunderds of shapes.

Alan, since we now have an actual gnome.org account, we can start thinking
about a) migrating the web pages to gnome.org, and b) setting up an actual
download area for shapes.  Right now, let's do this like we did the Cisco
shapes, but yes, we need a treeview.

>> Wow, this is beautiful!  I especially like the nicely colored icons.  We
>> should do that for the other sheets as well, it makes them so much
>> easier to navigate.  Thank you so much for this contribution!
>
> What was stopping me from using coloured shapes is that if you set a
> colour value (rather than setting none, foreground, or background) then
> users will be stuck with the colour you have choosen, unable to change
> it.  I dont remember if i filed a bug report (i certainly i should have
> done).

Alan, you owe yourself to download these shapes and look at them.  It's not
the shapes that are colored, it's the icons.  Colored so that similar
shapes have similar colors.  It's not just pretty, it's darn usable.