Re: [Autodia]: for Win98? without Perl?

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Johannes Eble wrote:

> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 14:48:36 +0200
> From: Johannes Eble <johannes@eble-uebersetzungen.de>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: [Autodia]: for Win98? without Perl?
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have just seen that there is a way to produce a Dia file from
> existing code with Autodia (see http://droogs.org/autodia/). Is there
> any equivalent program/version that doesn't use Perl, but Python or
> Java? Also, it seems that the Win98 operating system gets confused by
> the subdirectory 'Autodia' and the file 'autodia'. Is there a

> walkaround for Win98?

the English expression is 'work around' (dont apologise - mein Deutsch ist
sehr schlect)

If you explain in more detail i will try and help.
Maybe rename the files?
I try and avoid problems with filenames by always giving Perl scripts a
.pl script (and ReadMe files a .txt even if i am using *nix)
Sometimes on windows it is best to put things in a directory/path that
does not contain any spaces in it.  Without a more detailed description i
cannot really help and even them i am just geussing.

Why not ask the AutoDia maintainer?  He tried to be helpful last time i
asked him.

I sort of got Autodia working on windows before, It should work with
Cygwin Perl or Activestate Perl, I ended up trying both because at the
time Autodia did not actually work and it thought i was doing something
wrong.
Most developers dont mind people saying they cannot get programs to work
so long as you mention that you did genuinely try and what things you
tried.  It is always good if you can clearly explain what you failed to
understand so that the programmer can code more defensively, or make
better error handling, error messages or documentation.
(/me hoping the maintainer incorporated some or any of my suggestions,
must try AutoDia agian soon)

One unix/linux systems work has been done to generate Dia diagrams from
Code using XSLT.  (you will have to search the archives, i am not sure if
i got this right, it could have been in the other direction from Dia XML
to Code).
If you are desperate for a solution you might search freshmeat.net or
sourceforge.net but i doubt you will find anything.

I really dont recall any better way to do this than to just force yourself
to use Perl.  I dont write perl but I dont let that stop me from using it.
The Perl in AutoDia is readable enough.
At least try it or explain why you wont use it before looking for
alternatives.

Anyway, good luck and sorry if that was not any help.

Sincerely
Alan Horkan

http://gnome.org
http://mozilla.org