Will the real libiconv please stand up! Was : Re: [Mingw-users] baby steps, an half-finshed packaging of libiconv (very boring)

--- stefan <stefan@lkcc.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, James Michael DuPont wrote:
>
> > Dear fellow hackers,
>
> Hello!
>
> > I am working on  putting my packages on sourceforge right now,
> > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=19878
> > I still have not converted all of my packages to the high standards
> > that I preach, this of course makes me a hypocrite in one aspect.
>
> The 'libiconv' library "port" for MinGW32 has always been maintained
> at the 'mingwrep' project on sourceforge.
>
> <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7382>
>
> Too bad we are doing duplicate work...

Wait!

First of all I am talking about a mingw32 under debian, and second of
all, please excuse that I overlooked your particular port, because
there is no clear guidelines for the user as to which of the MANY ports
he should use.

I have been complaining about this all the time, I dont want to have to
scrouge the net trying to find all the sources that I need to duplicate
a port. That is why I have been complaining about the section 3 of the
GPL.

That states that all the sources and lib that are not part of the
system have to put placed in the same place as the binaries.

If people would follow the guidelines layed down by the FSF,
then we would not have these problems.

For example, the Dia installer does not have all the sources code of
all the modules with it.

The pw32 just has binaries, but the source code is missing.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pw32/

lets look for iconv :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libiconv/  -- This is from Haible
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/libiconv  -- Oh another one!
http://gettext.sourceforge.net/            -- another port!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwrep/  -- Your Package
http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/      -- The GNU Package
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/  -- The One I used
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html -- Contains links to
the gnu package, but not to yours.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gettext/   -- And the gettext.

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=libiconv/libiconv-1.8-2-src&grep=iconv
CYGWIN also has a port!

So we have a least six different distributions, before we go into the
gettext. Now, how am I to know what to use? I will try your package
under mingw32 under Debian.

So I just grabbed one of them an started to compile, even
If your might have been newer. Let me tell you that I am just trying to
get all the sources in one spot for the DIA recompilation for windows
under mingw32/debian.

I also want to setup some build environment that is easy to reproduce
the binaries from and setup a strictly GPL compliant distribution of
the entire sources.

In the end, I want to a set of debian source packages that can be
compiled using apt-source/dpkg for windows without any tweaking.

As I said, I will try out your package, the only reason I posted this
unfinished package was so that someone else can try to compile it.

I hope that we can consolidate all these versions floating around into
a single and consistent set of packages, you must admit that It is very
confusing!!!

If the sources had been at the DIA site, then I would have used thiers,
or at the GIMP/GTK port.

You guys need to fight is out as to WHO is the REAL slim shady!

Will the real "libiconv" please stand up? Please stand up!

Then we need to have a link on each of these projects as to who is
doing what.

Believe me, I dont want to spend any more time than needed on this at
all!

Maybe a WEBRING would be best, at least you all have each others names,
now please start talking, agree on a standard disclaimer about where to
go to get the newest version, who is doing what.

Best regards,
Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont