Re: New Shapeset -- What Will I Need To Do...?

On 2002.08.29 12:11 Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Le Thu, Aug 29, 2002, à 11:54:03AM -0400, Tim Ellis a écrit:
>
> > Now, I know things change quickly in the Open Source world, so I'm
> willing
> > to revisit this, but I'd like to get some advice from the GTK
> hackers
> > here.
>
> > Once I have my GTK program, I have clue 0 about how to convert this
> into
> > dialogues and interfaces to Dia.
>
> > Oh, and just asking this question terrifies me. Please be gentle.
>
> I've got very good news for you: writing new objects (if you're not
> aiming
> for an UML Class look-alike) is not that difficulty; StdProp objects

Not an *exact* look-alike, but it seems like it would have quite a few
things in common with it--UML being a distant descendant of ERD
notations and such.

Descriptions of ER representations in UML reference books are amusing:
"If you need to represent x in your ER diagram, use a tagged value.",
which always seems to the engineer in me like:  "We know the UML is too
general to unambigously represent your actual RDBMS data structures, so
here's a clumsy work-around."

Andy