RE: WIN32 compilation, the spirit of GNU software.

I know what you mean, rob, and I see can see it from you perspective.
But can you try and see it from mine?

--- Rob Campbell <rob.campbell@att.net> wrote:
> On Friday, August 23, 2002 9:43 AM, JMD wrote:
> >I just pointed out a problem: I bet Hans realized that there could
> be a
> >bit a truth in it, and that is why he did what he did, in my
> opinion.
> >
> >You would just ban me from the list and ignore me if you really
> thought
> >I was %100 wrong!
>
> I'll go out on a limb and say Hans' action is instead an indication
> of the
> oft discussed disgust of open source programmers with users who
> scream,
> "Gimme, gimme, gimme!"  In this case, it wasn't "Gimme this feature"
> but
> "Gimme this tool chain."

Yes, in a way you are right. I am just asking for the sources.

In the beginning, I figured that I would just try it on my own,
and then I realized that there must be a way to get the sources already
built.

So from that perspective, I am just complaining about having to piece
it all togeather myself.

I looked at the GPL itself and was quite suprized that they were so
explicit about providing the sources, as much as the rest of you i
imagine.

Well I am sorry for complaining and spoilling the fun.

> Then the implied threats/loaded language
> started
> flying and Hans said, "Fine.  Problem remedied.  The binaries are no
> longer
> available."  You've since back pedaled on the implication that Hans
> must be
> holding something back, but the damage is done, isn't it?

Yes, and I apologised for it. I am going to get the port back up and
running. Then I will distribute the sources in such as way as to
encourage other developers to help, to make it easy for them to want
and  get involved.

Not only for dia, but for the gcc development as well, the idea is to
make it easier for people to use these development tools. To help them
contribute. Having all the source code and "build-chain" as you call it
will be a BIG step in that direction.

Again, I am working on a NATIVE port using MING. Not anything with
cygwin. I will be looking to get the bonobo and corba interfaces up and
running, also with a perl to orbit to bonobo intergration like in
GNUMERIC.

This will make up for the damage I hope.

If all goes well, even more people will be contributing to dia,
also because of this little interaction we had.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/