Re: lock unlock aspect ratio, rotation, the future? [was Re: Goodjob guys!!]

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> > Dia can flip some shapes.  (Flip Horizontal, Flip Veritical, if i remember
> > from the object menu, middle click) I have thought about this only a
> > little and i have not looked at the code but a transform is a transform so
> > i suspect it would not be impossible to add rotate 90, 180 and 270.
> > Rotation by an arbitrary angle and Free rotation are an entirely nastier
> > problem.  Please stop me in my tracks if there is an error in my logic.
>
> sigh.

i should have limited my comments to shapes,
rotating text is not something i had considered.

sorry, my bad.

> > Obviosly rotation is a feature that people want.  Eventually would the
> > plan be to improve diacanvas or somehow replace it diacanvas2?
> > I know that font issues and GTK2 are the main goals for the forseeable
> > future but i would love to have even a vague idea of what the future plans
> > might be.
>
> First, deliverying a GTK2 initial release that doesn't crash significantly

well if people provide win32 beta with debugging turned on ill do my best
to crash in as many ways as i possibly can.

There is so much i want to do on Dia but i need to get these f***ing exams
done and then sort myself out with a suitable Gnome developement setup.

> worse than 0.90. One of the things needed is to finish porting the export
> plug-ins (all of them) so they don't output invalid files (neanderthalian
> file formats like CGM or TeX lack knowledge of Unicode, or advanced things
> such as selecting the name of the desired font, they need some baby-sitting).
>
> Then, there are several directions to go, all of which need to be eventually
> done anyway:
> 	* HID compliance

i assume you mean Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) compliance

> 	* bringing back EPS support on Win32
> 	* getting rid of UML Class (not the object, but the property dialog
> 	implementation)
> 	* internally nicer EPS output (though visually, it's excellent
> 	compared to the limited font and character sets we had in 0.90)
> 	* rotations

/me must try harder not to seem like i am complaining

Dia is great, i would not be here if i did not care so much.

Sincerely
Alan Horkan