Re: Is there some shape repository for dia ?

Le Tue, Aug 06, 2002, à 01:52:47PM -0500, Lars Clausen a écrit:

> >> We've considered shape repositories several times, but haven't made
> >> progress on the idea yet.  So the shapes in the distribution are indeed
> >> the only ones.
> >
> > I suggest the proper place for such a repository is the dia module of
> > cvs.gnome.org, subdirectory "shapes". Together with our grand plan for
> > more than one yearly release..
>
> We already have a megabyte worth of shapes, and more coming in.  The extra
> size of the distribution and in particular the start-up time will
> eventually become problematic.

This is true, but is best (IMO) handled at the packaging stage (ie, split
packages by shape themes, a no brainer to do in your debian/rules script or
equivalent), and/or by a speed-up at init time.
(like, lazy load of the .shape files -- just check that they stat(2) properly,
register an ObjectType which actually loads the shape and self-modifies the
first time so that it doesn't do any subsequent loads. Stat(2) is not free,
but it's still an order of magnitude or two cheaper than running the whole
libxml parser).

Grumpf.