Re: "crash due to a fatal error"

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>> Huh?  Doesn't happen here.  Obviously you have plugins... have you made
>> any of your own that might cause this?
>
> None, don't even know (yet) how to do that...
>
>>  Could you configure with
>> --enable-debug, then export DEBUGGER=gdb, then run it and see where it
>> crashes?
>
> Backtrace:
> 0x405f88f3 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
> (gdb) #0  0x405f88f3 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #1  0x080d8098 in charconv_utf8_to_local8 (utf=0x0) at charconv.c:182
> #2  0x080904b2 in get_plugin_manager () at plugin-manager.c:276

Excellent.  There seems to be a plugin with a NULL name.

>> > Next, I am pretty sure there's a way to change Dia's default
>> > parameters, like line thickness, (basis) font size, text padding
>> > (common for all objects), but I couldn't find this in docs / mailing
>> > list...
>>
>> There is no session-to-session setting, but line thickness can be set
>> from the tool box (the five parallel lines).  Global default font size
>> and padding is not settable, but it can be set per-object.
>
> Ok, as a first approximation, I created dia_defaults.h with
> DEFAULT_LINE_WIDTH, DEFAULT_FONT_HEIGHT,... and replaced 0.1 where I
> could find it (yes, best would be to grep the whole source tree, but
> sometimes it's hidden behind 0.05 * 2:-))...) with DEFAULT_LINE_WIDTH,
> etc., #including <dia_defaults.h> in respective .c / .h files. This is
> just a quick (I really have VERY little time for this, sorry), dirty hack
> to get something at least approximately into shape (why such huge
> defaults anyway? You can't fit more than a couple of flow-chart boxes on
> a page with them...)

Ask Alexander Larsson, he started it:)

> I can create a patch and send it to you, but you'll
> definitely have to work through it, but it should be easy.

Yes, please.  It's good to have those places identified.

> Ideally, as I said before, I would like to see defaults set in a config
> file AND be dynamically modifiable at run-time, e.g. with a fall-down
> list of font-sizes, line-widths, fonts, etc. - as is done in most
> text-processors, or selectable from preferences dialog.

For some objects, the line width selector in the toolbox determines the
line width.  This should be used by more objects.

> Also, why there's no include directory in dia tree?... and all global
> header-files are just kept in the root directory... errgh...

>> > (now I DO have a freetype support configured in - and yes, it does
>> > help to reduce the padding, but you should really in configure.in
>> > check not just for freetype-config, but for a version > x.y.z, where
>> > FT_Get_Postscript_Name is already supported:-))
>>
>> That would be 2.0.5, which is the version we already check for.
>
> Hm, but I had it fail to link with unresolved symbol
> FT_Get_Postscript_Name (I think my version was < 2.0.5, so, the test
> didn't work properly).

Odd.  We use Freetypes own check, with version 2.0.5.  I haven't done a
negative test on it, though.