Re: No po/Makefile when compiling from CVS

From: Cyrille Chepelov
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:52:39 +0100

> Le Fri, Mar 22, 2002, à 11:13:51PM -0500, Pierre Sarrazin a écrit:
> > The dia CVS server now responds, but my compilation fails this way:
> > > Making all in po
> > make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ps/extcvs/dia/dia/po'
> > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ps/extcvs/dia/dia/po'
> > make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ps/extcvs/dia/dia'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> > > There is no Makefile in the 'po' subdirectory, only Makefile.in
> > and Makefile.in.in files.
>
> bizarre. Can you ./autogen.sh with ACFLAVOUR=2.50, and then run the whole
> enchilada again ? Perhaps a gettextize --force even ?

ACFLAVOUR=2.50 does not work because there are no "autoheader2.50"
nor "autoconf2.50" commands on my system.  I use version 2.52 of these
two programs.  (I also use automake 1.6 and libtool 1.4.)

Anyway, I did add --force to the 'gettextize --copy' command in autogen.sh
and then ran './autogen.sh --help'.  I got these error messages:

Makefile.am: installing `./COPYING'
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at /usr/bin/automake line 8313.
: deprecated feature: `run_dia.sh' overrides `run_dia.sh$(EXEEXT)'
: change your target to read `run_dia.sh$(EXEEXT)'
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at /usr/bin/automake line 8313.
: deprecated feature: `run_diaconv.sh' overrides `run_diaconv.sh$(EXEEXT)'
: change your target to read `run_diaconv.sh$(EXEEXT)'
app/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
automake: processing Makefiles another time to fix them up.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at /usr/bin/automake line 8313.
: deprecated feature: `run_dia.sh' overrides `run_dia.sh$(EXEEXT)'
: change your target to read `run_dia.sh$(EXEEXT)'
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at /usr/bin/automake line 8313.
: deprecated feature: `run_diaconv.sh' overrides `run_diaconv.sh$(EXEEXT)'
: change your target to read `run_diaconv.sh$(EXEEXT)'
`configure' configures this package to adapt to many kinds of systems.

These messages seem to be related to app/Makefile.am, which explicity
defines targets named run_dia.sh and run_diaconv.sh, which are also
generated by automake because of the noinst_PROGRAMS clause.

Then I ran ./configure but still got no po/Makefile, just po/Makefile.in:

checking for db2html... /usr/bin/db2html
mv: cannot stat `po/POTFILES': No such file or directory
./configure: po/POTFILES.tmp: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating lib/Makefile
config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: creating intl/Makefile
config.status: creating objects/Makefile
config.status: creating objects/standard/Makefile

In one of my projects, the generated 'configure' script has this line,
which seems to be the one that produces po/Makefile:

    sed -e "/POTFILES =/r po/POTFILES" po/Makefile.in > po/Makefile

I see no such line in the configure script generated by dia's autogen.sh.
I don't know what statement in the configure.in could make the difference.

--
Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip at sympatico dot ca>