Re: --export w/o $DISPLAY?

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> Le jeu, sep 06, 2001, à 04:12:43 -0500, Lars Clausen a écrit:
>
>> > Conceptually, it's not complicated at all: just find the width of a
>> > text in a given font. Technically, well, I'm waiting for patches,
>> > because this is beyond my capacity.
>>
>> Check the FreeType mailing list archives, some other program does this
>> (kludgily) by looking for the font.dir files in some standard places.
>
> This is why I'd prefer delegate this stuff to a font manager like
> defoma....

That's a possibility, though it shouldn't be a necessity.

>> My freetype code uses XGetFontPath, which also requires a display.
>
> ... but is this all it needs a display for (barring, obviously, the
> rendering step) ?

Indeed.  The rendering step actually only touches X when we are ready to
copy the bitmaps (I'm still stuck there.)

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg
will defend to the death your right to say it."    |   of Westfield
    --Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing Voltaire   | Chaos Berserker of Khorne