can't scroll, SEGV, "canvas" too large

I spent a fair amount of time building a diagram today, using the
"fit to 1x1" option in the page layout.  I went to do a test print
on it, only to find that
1.  initially, the drawing was too small; it was taking up only about
    15% of the page
2.  subsequent attempts to open the document would result in either:
	a. dia getting a SEGV, or
	b. the document opens, a portion is visible, but the scroll
	   bars don't move.  It looks like, judging from the size of
	   the scroll bars, the canvas dimensions are now 6.02*10^23
	   by 6.02*10^23 (so to speak).

The short version is I now have a diagram that consistently fails to
load correctly.  I am unable to get a clean cvs build to see if the
current CVS tree exhibits the same problem.

The *.xml file is available via private email to anyone who would
like to trouble shoot this.

Red Hat 7.1 x86, running dia installed from RPM dia-0.88.1-ximian.1)
While trying to build dia from CVS, I also updated the following RPMs,
found on the RH7.2 CDs.  Prior to the upgrade, dia would SEGV on the
subject diagram.  Now it merely fails to load:
	gettext-0.10.38-7.i386.rpm
	xml-i18n-tools-0.9-2.noarch.rpm
	libxml-1.8.14-2.i386.rpm
	libxml-devel-1.8.14-2.i386.rpm